Charity: Time and Talents
|Area of Operation:
|£1500 including £50 registration fee
Running with the support of the whole community
Time & Talents is a local charity based in Rotherhithe, SE London, with a vision to create a place where EVERYONE feels part of a community. For 132 years we have been bringing people together for mutual support, fun and friendship through a range of services and activities that address social isolation, increase mental & physical wellbeing, and reduce divisions. We run programmes for Older People, Children & Families, as well as Health & Wellbeing projects to benefit people throughout the local area.
Our home at The Old Mortuary is at the beginning of Mile 12, and for those of us who live and work along the route, Marathon Day is always a special time: it brings out friends and neighbours to line the roads, ready to cheer on the runners and do what we can to support and celebrate their efforts.
By joining the Time & Talents London Marathon team, you'll be running right through the streets where we do our work, surrounded by people, young and old, who will benefit directly from the money you raise.
Chances are that somebody on the side of the road, cheering your name, will have a connection with Time & Talents. Perhaps their daughter dashes over to Super Fast Fun Club after school, or their Granddad has made new friends through our Pub Club. Maybe they help to brighten the days of an older, housebound person as a volunteer through our Befriending Scheme or the Cycling Without Age project, or they find peace of mind whilst gardening with the T&T Green Team.
You will find on Marathon Day that the support of people on the side of the road, whether they are friends or strangers, gives more of a boost than you would ever expect and will help you through those difficult moments. This is what Time & Talents works to do every day: helping to grow communities where people can find friendship, encouragement, and people willing them on all the way.
The money you raise will be vital to help us continue this work.
£1500 could pay for:
- A day a week for a year of minibus transport, bringing people who see no-one for days at a time to a place they can have lunch with friends
- 15 weekly cycling sessions with our Cycling Without Age pilots in the local parks for those in care homes - when some have not been in a green space for years
- 10 of our regular 'Pub Clubs' for isolated older men who have retreated from community since their partner passed away
- 3 months of materials supplies for our summer kids gardening project, Little Bugs Nature Club
- 4 older people to receive fully a supported befriending service, and one to one practical emotional support to 'get back on their feet' after illness
- 30 people to attend one of our strength and balance classes for older people who have fallen and need to get their strength and confidence back for six months